Thursday, June 14, 2012

PROMETHEUS

http://know.burrp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/prometheus_movie-wide1.jpg




Prometheus was a Titan who brought down fire from Mt. Olympus and introduced it to mankind. Consequently, he was punished by Zeus by being tied to the top of a mountain with his liver being eaten by an eagle for all eternity. And therein lies the plot of Ridley Scott's new sci-fi movie. A space vessel of same name in search of knowledge that would answer man's ultimate question - where did we come from? Unfortunately, just like its predecessor, its mission ends in disaster.

http://www.prometheas.org/Images/prometheus1-3804.jpg

http://hammerandquill.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/prometheus-movie-image-470x340.jpg
I have to admit that sitting down to the movie, I had absolutely no idea what it was about, aside from knowing who directed it, Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender were in it, and that it occurs in space. I also had the vaguest idea that it was a suspense/thriller sci-fi movie. Other than that, my mind was a blank slate. Which is probably the best state to be in for it gives the viewer the chance to be overwhelmed and able to experience a movie with no bias or expectations. As a suspense sci-fi, it certainly did not disappoint, being able to build up to a climax and sustaining it the very end. However, I found the discussions regarding religion and the beginning of humanity a little over reaching and forced, and the attempt to give the lead female character a "back story" that (surprise, surprise) influences her in her current situation is old news and lacking in substance. As a whole however, I enjoyed the movie, in part because the end was so fantastic and unexpected (again, because I knew nothing about this movie), that whatever low points were negated at the realization of how this story fit in the movie universe, and made me hope and hunger for a sequel.


http://damngoodcup.com/wp-content/uploads/prometheus-3d-wallpapers_33616_1024x768.jpg
The cinematography was excellent and the sets utilized were amazing in detail and scope. The transition between reality and CGI were seemless. I like Scott's method of creating the setting as almost another character in the story; sometimes, in the stillness of his shots, more palpable emotion can be felt within than from any drawn-out dialogue.

http://camerarentalz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/
12/ridley-scott-prometheus.jpg
Considering I must be the last person in the world to know this, I have no qualms in saying this - this movie began as a prequel to Alien. However, during the process of developing the script, it turned tangential until it became (in the words of the creator himself) a film "set in the same universe as the events of the Alien series” but wholly removed from it. However, there were still certain aspects similar to the sci-fi franchise. This was evident because despite not knowing that this had any connection to Aliens, I could not help but be reminded of it while watching.  For example, the use of an android and the set design of the alien military hub. Not to mention that the lead also gets impregnated with an alien baby. And, well, the ending that blew my mind and almost had me jumping out of my seat. Its unfortunate that the mention of the financing company for the mission did nothing to jog my memory; shame on me, I know. Anyway, no matter how blown away I was at the end, once the dust had settled, I realized that there were still a lot of questions left unanswered for me, most of which Shaw, the lead female, herself asked. Hopefully, this means a part 2 in the making, which I know "will not be part of the Alien franchise." I have to admit though, that I don't see a big fan base being created for Prometheus per se. Any fanfare would just be a residual from its association with Aliens, sad to say and probably to the disappointment of its creative team.


http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q
=tbn:ANd9GcSc1qXvp6DhASb
SmpYxEmEWhoD6KGJG5lywlaV7l6oINC8SPE68zx24YHeZ

In terms of casting, the jewel of the entire roster was Michael Fassbender. His ability to *not* convey emotion spoke volumes, and in my opinion helped propel the story, if such a juxtaposition was possible. However, don't expect him to be Data from Star Trek or even the other android from the first Alien. Now, if you're expecting Charlize Theron, prepare to see and expect as little from her as possible. Some of the issues I have with the movie are actually with her character. I read somewhere online that her character was created to really just be in the background. In that respect then, they were successful. However, I also read that additional scenes were written for Theron. If one of those additional written scenes included that travesty between her and the captain, then it should just have stayed unwritten.


http://www.bet.com/news/celebrities/2012/06/11/box-office-good-weekend-for-prometheus-madagascar-3/_jcr_content/featuredMedia/newsitemimage.newsimage.dimg/061112-celebs-prometheus-movie-idris-elba.jpg

http://www.krank.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/
www.prometheus-movie.com-2012-06-11-19h-05m-40s.jpeg
What can I say about the rest of the cast? The lead actress, Noomi Rapace, certainly held her own in the action sequences, and the others were believable enough in their roles. But I doubt any acting nominations are in their futures. I do have to specially mention Guy Pierce though. Despite seeing his name during the opening credits, I hardly recognized him. And this in spite of finding his prosthetics a little... fake, and his voice did not seem aged enough. Which makes me wonder: what deciding factor contributed in choosing a younger actor to play an old person vs casting someone of that age himself (or at least someone nearer that age)? Hmmmm…. On the other hand, what I do love is the mini-UN congregation that occurs in casting movies like this - there is always the obligatory Asian, African-descent, UK, and European.

http://cdn.videogum.com/files/2012/06/prometheus_crew.jpg

If the aim of Ridley Scott and associates was to bring the audience on an amazing movie experience full of suspense, fighting, explosions, and aliens (with or without 3D glasses), then I believe they were successful, as long as you don't think too much about the existentialist questions they pose. Did they make me contemplate whether Aliens are our ancestors? Sure, but only in the context of the movie. Did they shake my belief in a God? No. I believe that humans will never truly be able to answer the creation question because I have this little idea that the answer is too big for anyone to grasp. Plus, if we ever found the answer, then what else shall we strive for? 

http://justflick.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/new-prometheus-poster-slice.jpg

1 comment: