Thursday, June 7, 2012

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN

http://katielikesblue.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/snow-white-huntsman-1024x819.jpg






I did not actually want to watch the movie, but I had 4 hrs to kill in a mall with limited funds (therefore no shopping) and the movies that were showing were either: a.) I had already seen or b.) I did not want to waste my money on. So, Snow White was a compromise. Aside from my dislike for the actress in the lead role, I just wasn't sold on the "re-telling" of the fairytale because, let's face it - so many others have tried it before. However, I liked both Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth (a lot) enough for me to get through 2hrs worth of Kristen Stewart. Well, to sum it up- it wasn't LOTR but I didn't mind paying for it either.

It has all the elements we're familiar with regarding the fairytale - Snow white and her backstory, the step queen, dwarves, apples, and the huntsman in a more prominent role. They've also added more magic and even borrowed some elements from other fairytales (but I leave the discovery of which is which to you when you do watch the movie). The story in itself was well-developed enough, relying on flashbacks and mini-soliloquies to act as footnotes to the story. However, this might not be something for the really young as there are quite a number of connections and explanations to be said. I'm no longer a child, yet I myself have questions, such as: 1. How did Snow White become the "one" savior? I feel that the connection between the Step Queen and Snow wasn't fully elucidated; 2. Where did the magic come from? Granted that the Step Queen's mother was a witch, then did that mean Snow's mother was a witch, too, by virtue of the charm that was cast on Snow, albeit unknowingly? Or did it signify that goodness is innate and evil has to be worked on with spells and incantations?  3. And those apples, even if they were shown in the beginning, how did the Step Queen know to use them to bait Snow? Or is it because she knows everything? Did the mirror tell her? 4. But the most important of them all - why didn't the queen just kill Snow? She already mentioned in the beginning that she knew of the beauty-capacity of Snow, so why not suck her right then and there?  Maybe the answers to these questions were hidden within the movie, and I just wasn't paying that much attention or haven't analyzed enough to realize their significance. But despite all these questions, I was satisfied with the storyline. Everything I mentioned is just my obssesive compulsive nature to have things wrapped neatly and in a pretty bow. After all, you can only do so much with 2 hrs.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSF0P_zuYwv7YMo3YAqKWE_
lO3UDtjxTqGXWkgKvX1siAd36VSYWoZTk2Iq

On the upside, what struck me most was the seamless CGI and make-up, particularly the aging of the Step Queen. The cinematography is also worth mentioning. My favorite scenes were Snow lost in the Dark Forest and the funeral pyre, where the camera pans up as the dancing orange-red flames reach up into the dark night sky. Kudos to the concept of the "Santuary" where its unworldliness was palpable.



Something I appreciated from the film was its aim to be as grounded in reality as possible. Obviously, it was set in medieval times, and so the set and props tried to reflect that time period. Although reflecting back on it, they probably mixed up some facts from various time periods. While watching, I heard the confusion of some people that the Step Queen's mirror was not a mirror at all...that in itself should already be a clue. Of course I'm not well-versed with ancient weaponry and military strategies, but I believe some methods and forms they used are based on actuallity.  Perhaps, that's what had me confused somewhat - the mix of reality and magic together.

http://trueclassics.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/
snow-white-forest.jpg


On another note, I don't know if this movie has any connection with Disney, but watch the afore-mentioned Snow getting lost in the forest scene... Doesn't it seem familiar? And even the animals that Snow was friendly with in the animated version were re-worked here to have a more active role.





http://www.breakingdawnmovie.org/images/
snow_white_and_the_huntsman_ver10.jpg
For me, the character of Snow was well-crafted. She accepted early on without much fuss that being the daughter of the king, it was her responsibility to lead the uprising against the Evil Step Queen. On the other hand, she also acknowledged her weaknesses and sought for help when needed, as evidenced from her interaction with the huntsman. Unfortunately, the problem with me is the actress herself. Her acting in itself was not bad, truth be told. She was able to effectively deliver the princess' character of being headstrong but not combative or argumentative, of being realistic and hopeful at the same time. However, for me, she always acts the same. The same deadpan look in between acting stints... I almost expected Robert Pattinson as Edward to step in at anytime. Watch out for the moments Kristen Stewart is undergoing strong emotions, whether angry, sad or happy - it‘s emphasized by deep breathing. In fairness to her though, she looked every bit the determined but obviously fearful warrior that she was as she led the troops into the Step Queen's castle. It was something akin to Joan of Arc leading the French army. Maybe I would have wanted a little more fierceness, but she is afterall Snow White, and her goodness is key. But she does have the balls when necessary (e.g. At the end).  Could there be another actress to fit this role? I am not certain... Try as I can to be unbiased, I still feel that someone else could be Snow White. But then again, the nitpickings on her could be part of my prejudice, or it may not.


https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGpn
P8V6AblXtNwZbBj39CIFpXoUHkWC7PTw3b122PdWWkS3jUTg
With regards the Step Queen, Charlize Theron was perfect. She is trully beautiful and regal, and a true actress because who else could manipulate her beauty to become hard to the point of ugliness? I must say though that her accent at times was a little confusing to listen to. I don't know if it was intentionally done, but there was a marked difference between the acting of Theron and Stewart, almost as if to illustrate the difference between their characters. One was larger than life in her actions, using the full breadth of her arms to gesticulate; whereas the latter was quite reserved in her actions. Did this symbolize that evil was ostentacious and all smoke and mirrors? While good was quiet but strong? Whatever the case, I enjoyed Theron as the Step Queen. Next, Angelina Jolie as Maleficent...



http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9ADE13JwSmZmcs
NqFx4uKLawspL7RR_Mvd9ANPNqB0aOKnzWJz9n-8tIpOQ
Fresh from seeing him as Thor in Avengers, Chris Hemsworth as the Huntsman just seemed to be a dirtier, more drunk version of that former character. Fortunately enough, the story propels the watcher into its universe and you eventually lose sight of Hemsworth as an individual and he becomes the Hunstman. It was a little confusing at first, that he should suddenly turn against giving up Snow upon seeing her, and even the lackluster explanation near the end wasn't that much satisfying. At least, there was no overt tones of romance between the Huntsman and Snow, as I was afraid there might be. I know some people may argue with me on this, but I really feel that the turnning point at the end wasn't a declaration of romantic love but of... True love. Almost agape-ish. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part because I just want Hemsworth to end up with Natalie Portman (whoops, wrong movie!). After all, if they really wanted to play up the romance card, then they should have highlighted some sort of rivalry between him and William, Snow's childhood friend. Although, there was one scene come to think of it.... But I think the writer and director of this film had higher aspirations than to focus on some love story. In hindsight, the character of the Huntsman was almost just a means to a way, and I think that if this was a true story, the Huntsman was incidental, and that Snow could have been helped by any other person; it just so happened to be him.


Snow White and the Huntsman
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/snow-white-huntsman-image06.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTV
m00h1_epcKojADwznwq6OajbkDPOXJ1WKBG20csDkOSCjBtC
The prince charming was not a prince charming per se. The character was actually the son of a trusted duke of Snow's father, who grew up with her. However, because of inevitable circumstances, they were separated. When the movie proper begins, he learns her whereabouts and searches for her, using ALL necessary means. Now then, if I was someone who had not seen a decent (decent being the operative word here) man for many years, and suddenly had to choose between the hunstman and the duke's son... I personally would choose the hunstman. William, the name of the character, unfortunately pales in 

manliness beside Hemsworth's character. Don't get me wrong, William can hold his own during battles with a bow and arrow (just as I wrote this, it occurred to me - William Tell, is that you?!?), but the Huntsman's agility to yield an axe is more impressive. Maybe William's character was suppose to serve as a point of dilemma, but I feel that if so, then that wasn't even explored fully (barely even hinted at one point). Although the presence of his character did serve as a turning point, I think something else could have done about it. Personally, William was superflous. But the actor is cute, I'll give him that.




As a special mention, the dwarves was a welcome treat. They were obviously for comedic relief and a certain awwww factor, but it wasn't overtly so, and they were able to stand on their own. Although, the dialogue of Bob Hoskin's character was a little cryptic and left one hungry for more. Also, there was too much of their backstory which I think was not needed. On the other hand, I'm happy that they weren't made into caricatures of what people are used to, and handled just like any normal-sized character. The effects and camera angling was also good in showing the height discrepancies without being too forced. Although, I just learned recently that there was an issue regarding the employment of normal-sized actors instead of vertically-challenged persons.

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/The-Dwarves-in-Snow-White-and-the-Huntsman-.jpg

If I had children with me, perhaps the one lesson I want them to leave with is that fairytales are not bible truth. Happiness and happy endings should not be based on finding another person, but on yourself. Fight for your right towards a happy ending! And true love's kiss is not necessarily romantic in nature. After all, is a parent's love for their children any less true? Or two friends for each other?

I'd say that in a summary, the movie was pretty successful in giving another version of this fairytale. 

http://kentonmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Snow-White-and-The-Huntsman-01.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment