Saturday, May 19, 2012

IN A COTTAGE BY THE WOODS


I looked around, making sure that no one was watching.  Satisfied that I was alone, I ran from the edge of the forest towards the cottage not far away.  I knocked on the door, while looking behind my shoulder for any sign of The Hunter.
            “Please hurry…” I whispered to myself.  I knocked again, with more insistence.
            “Hold your horses, the world’s not ending just yet.”  Responded an old rasping voice.
            “I’m sorry, sir, but if you don’t mind, it’s a matter of life and death!”  I answered urgently.
            “Whatever.”  Muttered the voice from behind the door.
            After what seemed like eternity, the door was finally opened by an aging, stooped, one-eyed man.  He squinted his good eye against the sunlight and scratched his smooth pate.  I pulled at his trousers .  He looked down and gasped.
            “Don’t have a heart attack, air!  I wouldn’t be able to help you!”  I said in alarm.
            “You… you can talk!”  He said disbelievingly.
            “It’s a long story,” I started as I pushed my way in, “But I think I’ll have my whole lifetime to tell you if you let me stay.”  I finished, looking at him pleadingly.
            The old man bent down and stroked my fur.  “Is someone after you?”  He asked me.
            My nose quivered, “Yes.”
            “Don’t worry, no one will think of disturbing an old hermit like me.  You’re quite safe here.”  He reassured me.  He picked me up and set me on the sink. “Phew, you need a bath, my friend.”  He joked.
            I shamefully lowered my head as the old man began washing me from the tip of my long ears to the end of my bushy tail.
            Suddenly, we heard gun shots and furious barking.  The old man looked out his window and his eye widened with dismay.
            “Perhaps it’s better if I hide you somewhere.  Just to be on the safe side.”  He said as he quickly toweled me dry.  He pulled open a closet door and shoved me in.  “There are some carrots in there.  I’m sorry if it’s a little stuffy, but this is the best that I can do.”  The old man explained.
            I looked deep into his eye, the good one.  “Thank you so much.”  I replied sincerely.
            The old man smiled with uncertainty for a moment.  He opened his mouth as if to say something, but quickly changed his mind.  He closed the door with a bang.
            I felt around the small, enclosed space and my paws happened on some carrot slices.  I began munching on them and silently thanked my Creator for the old man.  Not long after I noticed that the heat was becoming more intense.  I remembered the old man’s words and decided to disregard the discomfort.  Then I smelled smoke, and noticed the slight flickering flames underneath me.  I suddenly recalled my mother’s warnings” of burning closets that cooked animals for human consumption.  I realized my predicament and pounded on the door.  I shouted and shouted…



The old man pulled out his rocking chair and sat down, looking up at the stars that were starting to show in the darkening sky.  Soon after, he heard heavy footsteps coming up the pathway.
            “Sorry, dad, nothing special tonight, just a couple of pheasants.”  His son shouted regretfully as he held up the fowl.
            “That’s okay,”  The old man said, rubbing his hands, “I’ve got rabbit roasting in the oven.”  He smiled evily while smacking his lips.


(1997)

No comments:

Post a Comment